Church Tour Introduction The Lady Chapel Chapel of the Cross The Chancel Screen The High Altar The North Aisle The South Aisle The Main Body of the
                        Church The Nave Altar The Font


Click on any coloured
location in the map
of the church above for words and pictures of features in the area

St Faith's picture index

Home Page

 

A Virtual Tour of Saint Faith's Church

... for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.
2 Chronicles 5. 14

 
 
 
 
 

Ground plan of Saint Faith's, drawn by Eric Salisbury



Please Note: several linked pages are out of date, due to additions, removals or rearrangement of various of our Furnishings of Faith.
Before long I will take a closer look and try and get things up to date.
March 2016


                                                                                           INTRODUCTION

The Parish Church of Saint Faith was designed by the Liverpool architects Grayson and Ould, the building structure being a combination of sandstone and red brick which is pleasing both externally and internally. Above the nave is a splendid hammer-beam roof, fashioned in the same style as the roof in Westminster Hall, whilst the choir and sanctuary are covered by a magnificent barrel-vaulted roof. The craftsmen who constructed the building left a beautiful church as a memorial to their skills: skills which are, sadly, in short supply a hundred years later. The building was consecrated in 1900.

The church is entered from the south porch, which is protected by substantial wrought iron gates, through two sets of doors; the outer doors of solid oak, at least two inches thick, have darkened due to exposure to the elements over almost a century but the inner doors remain almost the same as when they were installed. Woodwork is a feature of Saint Faith`s and there are many fine examples of the skill of the carpenter in the church; appropriate in view of Christ`s exposure to the carpentry skills of Joseph. The woodworking skills of O.E. Griffiths, of Bevington Hill, Liverpool, are to be found in the carved Spanish sedilia, the choir stalls and the organ casing. The organ casing was in place before the organ itself was finally completed in 1901. Griffiths was also responsible for the carved sandstone pulpit.

When you enter the church, you come into a fairly large area to the rear, now devoid of pews and used as a gathering and refeshment area, with the remainder of the nave and the chancel to your right. Descriptions and photographs of the various areas and features of the whole church may be accessed by clicking on the appropriate coloured area on the schematic diagram which appears on this and every linked page.

Orirginal design of these pages: Denis Griffiths. All pages revised and updated October 2010. While the structure of the church is unmoved, portable furnishings may be relocated from time to time!