William Hassall

Fifth Vicar of Saint Faith`s

William Hassall joined Saint Faith`s on 31 January 1948 from St. Stephen`s, Wolverhampton, having been for four years Director of Youth Work in the Diocese of Lichfield. He began the tradition of referring to the incumbent as Father rather than Mr. Fr. Hassall was an energetic priest who instituted many changes including replacement of worn out vestments The Golden Jubilee of the church (in 1950) was celebrated in style with many services, a jubilee luncheon, and the presentation of a 37 ft flagpole. Saint Faith`s has no burial ground attached to the church but in 1957 a Garden of Memory, on the north side, was laid out and hallowed. In 1959 Fr. Hassall suffered a slight stroke and was absent from services for a number of weeks. He returned but over the next few years further deterioration in his health took place. In the autumn of 1965 he announced his intention to resign the living. Fr. Hassall`s period at Saint Faith`s saw many changes, including construction of a new vicarage on land attached to the church. He achieved much, including redesigning of the Lady Chapel, new vestments and banners, oil heating in the church, hot water in the vestry and redecorating of the reredos. The subsequent restration of the organ was done in his name, as a plaque in the choirstalls records.

Hear the voice of William Hassall 

Return to Clergy page